Hey beautiful people!
So If you’re here reading this piece, chances are you’re interested in digital planners and have considered selling them on Etsy.
Great news, because today we’re going to discuss how you can sell your digital planners on Etsy.
Digital planners have become popular over the years as they are easy to make and are a great source of passive income.
What could be better than turning your passion for digital planning into a thriving business on Etsy?
With some design knowledge and planning, you can quickly achieve this goal.
So, please grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and let’s start this exciting journey together!
What are Digital Planners?
For those who are wondering what digital planners are?
Digital planners are basically the same as the traditional paper planners you’re used to. The only difference is that instead of getting a physical package shipped to your doorstep, you’ll receive a PDF file through email that you can download instantly without any waiting.
How cool is that?
But the best part is that with digital planners, you can either print them as it is, or you can do changes to the design or the content as per your needs before printing.
Not only that but if you are planning to use them digitally on your iPad or MacBook without printing, you can do that too.
You can hyperlink, add stickers, and mix and match different pages.
Believe me, digital planners are awesome!
I’ve made so many using this fantastic tool called Canva (which I’ll tell you more about later), and I honestly prefer them over paper planners any day.
Why Sell Digital Planners On Etsy?
Now one question that may be striking in your mind, again and again, is why you should sell Digital Planners on Etsy?
Well, there are many reasons to sell digital planners on Etsy, let’s discuss them one by one.
1. Low Entry Costs: Selling digital planners on Etsy requires minimal startup costs (or even nothing), as there is no need to print and ship physical products.
This means you can focus on creating high-quality designs and marketing your products without worrying about inventory or shipping expenses.
2. Wide Audience Base: Etsy has a large and diverse customer base that is constantly looking for items like digital planners, which means you have the potential to reach a broad audience with your digital planner listings.
Plus, many Etsy users are already familiar with the platform and comfortable purchasing digital products online.
3. Flexibility: As a digital planner seller, you have the freedom to create products that reflect your unique style and interests.
You can experiment with different designs and formats, and update your listings as needed to stay relevant and competitive.
Also, once you have a few digital planners listings up on your store you can modify them a little bit (maybe change colors, fonts, layout, etc) and upload them as a new listing.
4. Passive income: Once you create and list your digital planners on Etsy, you can continue to earn money from those products without having to put in additional work.
This can be a great source of passive income, especially if you are able to create popular and evergreen designs that continue to sell over time.
5. Higher Conversion Rates: Another benefit of selling digital planners on Etsy is the platform’s reputation among buyers.
Etsy has been around for years and has established itself as a trusted marketplace for handmade and unique products.
This means that buyers who come to Etsy are often already in a buying mindset and are more likely to make a purchase which can lead to higher conversion rates for your digital planner listings, ultimately increasing your sales and revenue.
What Are The Fees For Selling Digital Planners on Etsy?
Yeah, there are some fees associated with selling on Etsy, and as a seller, you should be aware of them so that you can set your profits accordingly.
1. Listing Fees: When you list an item on your Etsy store, Etsy charges a small fee of $0.20 per listing. That means you will be charged $0.20 every time you list a new item. And this fee will be valid for 4 months, which means after 4 months your listing will get auto-renew (If you have turned on auto-renew) and you will be charged another $0.20 every 4 months.
2. Transaction Fees: So as per the latest changes made in Etsy fee system, now, when you make a sale through Etsy, there’s a transaction fee of 6.5% of the listing price (excluding sales tax if you’re selling from the US or Canada). This fee helps support the platform and allows Etsy to maintain and runs such a huge community of buyers and sellers.
3. Offsite Ad Fee (Optional): So if you are running Offsite ads on your store, you need to be aware of their charges as well, cause they will be added to your monthly Etsy billing.
So Etsy purchases ad space on high-traffic websites like Google, Facebook, and other search engines, and social media to promote their sellers’ products.
If a customer clicks on one of these ads and buys anything from your Etsy store, you’ll be charged a 12-15% transaction fee.
This fee is only charged if the customer makes a purchase, so it’s a great way to get your products in front of potential buyers without any upfront costs.
If you want to read more about Etsy offsite ads, read our article on What Are Etsy Offsite Ads! Are They Worth It?
How To Sell Digital Planners On Etsy For Passive Income (4 Easy Steps)
Now here comes our main topic, how to sell digital planners on Etsy. So to make it simple for you, I have summarized everything for you in 4 simple steps, so let’s dive in.
1. Research About Trending Planners
So yeah, first thing first, if you want to have a successful printable shop on Etsy you just can’t sell anything you want, cause remember you have to pay a listing fee for every listing you put up.
So you have to do your research and find out the right type of printables that can sell crazy on the marketplace.
You can follow various techniques to research what printables to sell.
Here is an example, look at this amazing printable by TrendyCONTENT, this planners has got almost 503 ratings, which clearly shows that this printable is selling crazy on the marketplace.
You can now take inspiration from this and create something unique in your own style.
Note: This is just for demonstration purposes, I highly recommend you create your own unique designs and not copy others or you will get in legal trouble and get your shop shut down.
Popular Planner Sizes to offer
There are various popular planner sizes that you can offer.
Here I have gathered a list of popular sizes that most Etsy sellers are offering on the marketplace.
Etsy sellers offer a wide range of digital planner sizes to cater to different needs and preferences. Some popular digital planner sizes that Etsy sellers offer include:
- A4 (8.27 x 11.69 inches) *Most Popular
- A5 (5.83 x 8.27 inches)
- Classic (7 x 9.25 inches)
- Personal (3.7 x 6.7 inches)
- Half Letter (5.5 x 8.5 inches)
- Letter (8.5 x 11 inches)
- Junior (5 x 8 inches)
- Pocket (3.5 x 5.5 inches)
These sizes can vary slightly depending on the seller, but they are generally the most popular sizes for digital planners on Etsy.
And nowadays I have seen many sellers selling printables based on their app compatibility for eg. Planners for Goodnotes, Notability, Xodo, and Hyperlinked are quite popular on the marketplace.
- 22 Best Digital Products To Sell On Etsy (Real Examples!!)
- How To Start a Candle Business On Etsy (My Method!!)
- 13 Things To Do Before Opening An Etsy Shop (Practical Tips!)
- How To Start a T-Shirt Business On Etsy
2. Create Your Planners (Using Canva)
So when you are done with your research part it’s time to get creative and start designing your planners.
For designing purposes, I use canva cause of its ease of use and a massive library of graphic elements, stock images, templates, etc.
Now definitely I can’t teach you how to design planners in canva as it is something that cannot be taught within an article but I suggest you watch some Youtube videos around that and you will be good to go.
Here are some tips while creating your planners inside canva:
- Use easy-to-read fonts
- Use minimal pastel colors and avoid bright colors
- Pay attention to your layout, it should be unique and catchy to grab the attention
- Follow a theme when designing planners
- Keep aware of the latest trends
- Check your competitors and find out what’s working for them.
3. List Them On Your Store (Setup Digital Planner Listing on Etsy)
So now when you have a couple of planners ready it’s time to list them on your Etsy store.
How to do that?
Well, Etsy has a separate item category for digital products and you can list your planners under the digital items category.
Here’s how to do it.
Login to your Etsy shop manager then click on listings from the left sidebar and then click on “Add a Listing”.
Now add your listing details like Title, Images, description, tags, material, etc.
And do not forget to select the Digital under the Listing Type section.
Fill up the Price, Quantity, and SKU section, and then at the end upload your digital files that will be delivered to the customer when they complete their purchase.
Click on Publish button when everything is done.
Voilaaa!!! your digital planner listing is live.
If you are still not able to understand then this video by Jennifer Marie will help you out:
4. Promote Your Planners
So no business can be successful without proper marketing.
You had set up your shop, created beautiful planners, and uploaded them to your store now if you are thinking that money will keep coming into your bank then you are wrong.
I mean yeah you could get a few sales without marketing because of Etsy’s huge customer base, but if you actually want to go viral on Etsy and fill your banks then you have to think differently.
So the best way to promote your digital planners is by using Pinterest.
Yes, you heard me right, the Pinterest audience is perfect for promoting digital planners and they are always looking to buy such type of stuff.
And I am not saying it, you can see it by yourself, sellers are already doing that, look at the screenshot below.
So what you need to do to get started with Pinterest?
Wel all you need to do is create a Pinterest business account and create some relevant boards.
After that start creating pins around your products using a tool like canva and post them regularly on Pinterest.
Day by day you will see that people will start discovering your pins and you will start getting sales.
And that’s how it works, there is no secret method or hack that can get you thousands of sales in one day, good thing takes time.
Other Platforms To Sell Digital Planners
Well, Etsy is not the only platform to sell your digital planners there are some other marketplaces as well.
1. Creative Market: Creative Market is a marketplace that is specialized in digital products only, including digital planners.
It offers a huge range of templates, graphics, fonts, and other resources for artists.
Creative Market is a marketplace which means it already has millions of buyers who are constantly looking for digital products to buy online.
So it could be a great alternative to Etsy, you can upload your digital planners over there and easily earn some passive side cash.
But, you can’t just go and create a store over there, you need to have a good portfolio to showcase your work to the CM team and if they like your work, they will allow you to have a shop over there.
2. Creative Fabrica: It is an upload and forgets kinda marketplace because it works on a subscription model.
What does that mean?
That means you can just upload all your digital items on this marketplace and leave them.
People who had bought creative fabric subscriptions can then download your items and the more download you’ll get the more money you’ll make.
You don’t even have to worry about customer support as this would be done by the Creative Fabrica team.
3. Design Bundles: Design Bundles is another great platform for selling your digital planners. They are similar to Creative Market so there is nothing special to say.
They also have a review phase that you have to undergo before opening a store.
So if you want you can check them out.
Some Other Hot Selling Digital Products To Sell On Etsy?
There are many hot selling digital item categories on Etsy other than planners.
Here are some of the most trending ones:
- Printable wall art
- Digital invitations
- Social media templates
- Printable stickers
- Digital embroidery patterns
- Digital scrapbook papers
- Printable coloring pages
- Digital clipart and graphics
- Instagram highlight covers
- Printable calendars
- Digital journals and notebooks
- SVG files for Cricut and Silhouette machines
- Digital knitting or crochet patterns
- Canva Templates
- Digital business card templates
- Printable gift tags and wrapping paper
- Digital resumes and cover letters
- Printable bookmarks
- Digital art tutorials and courses
- Kids Activities and Games Printables
Here I have covered some frequently asked questions among readers.
How to find out what printables to make
Well, there are various ways to find out what printables to make that will make you a real profit.
For eg. you can look at the marketplace itself and see what other printables are selling well and take inspiration from there.
Also, you can take reference from your competitor’s reviews and see what type of printable people love to buy and then create something related to that.
You can also invest in some Etsy SEO keyword research tools like Erank and find out popular terms and phrases that people are searching for and then create products around them.
How much to charge for a printable
It totally depends upon the printable, the quality, the design, the number of pages, etc.
A 1-page printable will sell for $1-$2 while a complete 20-25 pages printable will easily go for $10-$15.
So again it all depends, I suggest you take a look at the marketplace and see what pricing strategy other sellers are using and maybe you can take inspiration from there.
Last Moment Tips
Yuhuuuuuu!! So finally you are here.
So I hope you enjoyed reading this article and everything I have put together here.
I know it can be a bit confusing initially, but things will get a lot easier once you start putting in the effort.
Believe me, it’s not that hard, and if you do it in the right way you will see sales coming in with just a few listings on your Etsy store.
Comment down if you have any doubts regarding this blog post, and I will reply to you asap.
Happy selling Fellas, Take Care!!!
Hey there! I’m Rohit Lohia, a passionate SEO enthusiast and the proud founder of Branded Bucks. I’m all about helping small business owners achieve success online through my blog. Join me on this exciting journey as we explore ways to make money online and build a thriving digital presence.